One of the first questions we are asked by home buyers is, “Do you check for Mold?”

Black Mold, or Stachybotrys Chartarum, can only develop where three items exist together… moisture, oxygen and organic or cellulose materials (food sources). Mold has to have the right “conducive” conditions to grow. What we inspect for is the presence of these “conducive” conditions in the home, with moisture being the key. Without an active water source, mold cannot grow.

During the course of the inspection we: identify all of the water sources in the structure, operate all of the plumbing fixtures, i.e., supply and drain lines, then inspect for the presence of moisture where it does not belong. We do a visual as well as an infrared scan of the entire house.

If a “conducive” condition is identified, we then may recommend further evaluation and testing by our certified mold associates.

Mold actually eats the material it is growing on, such as wood products in the home. Consequently, structural damage can result if mold is allowed to grow unchecked. Mold cannot eat steel or concrete, which are used extensively in home construction. As mold dries, spores develop and can become airborne. When mold spores are airborne inside a home, they (spores) can cause the damage to health and home.